Section: The United Kingdom
VIDEO: Ukraine conflict: ‘There’s no ceasefire’
The BBC’s Tom Burridge reports from Shyrokyne in east Ukraine, where he witnesses mortar fire from pro-Russian troops despite the ceasefire agreement. …read more Source:...
Crowdfunding a war: Ukraine’s DIY drone-makers
In a David versus Goliath-like battle, Ukrainian forces look to private companies and crowdfunded volunteer organisations to develop defence software and drone hardware in their fight against RussiaWe arrived in Krasnoarmiysk, Ukraine, at 3am. Two soldiers wearing balaclavas and holding Kalashnikov assault rifles came out to meet us, instructing...
Russia should face more sanctions if it stokes Ukraine further: UK Labour’s Miliband
LONDON (Reuters) – The West should step up sanctions on Russia if the Kremlin shows further aggression in Ukraine, British opposition Labour leader Ed Miliband said on Friday. …read more Source:...
Ukraine’s future is in Europe – we have chosen our path | Petro Poroshenko
Our war on corruption will bring us closer to EU membership and ensure that in the new Ukraine no one is above the lawUkrainians stood up in the frigid cold of a Kiev winter more than one year ago – facing arrest, truncheons and ultimately a hail of bullets – with concrete goals in mind. The revolution was, at its core, an affirmation of the...
Chernobyl arch faces €265m funding gap ahead of disaster’s 29th anniversary
Europe must plug funding gap for massive 100-metre concrete sarcophagus being built to contain remaining radioactive waste at the site • Graphic: Containing Chernobyl’s deadly legacy A massive engineering project to make the Chernobyl nuclear power plant safe is facing a €265m (£190m) funding shortfall. Related: Containing...
Containing Chernobyl’s deadly legacy
As the 29th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster approaches, work continues to safely confine radioactive waste remaining at the site with the construction of the largest moveable structure ever created on land• : Chernobyl arch faces €265m funding gap ahead of disaster’s 29th anniversary … …read more Source: The...
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 debris displayed for victims’ families – video
Relatives of the victims of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 are shown the wreckage of the plane in the Netherlands on 3rd March. The plane was shot down on July 17 2014, killing 298 passengers and crew, two-thirds of them Dutch. Families visited the remains of the plane at the Gilze-Rijen airbase in private before the media were granted access...
Dutch expert fired after showing MH17 victim photos in public lecture
George Maat, who has been helping identify victims, is fired after showing photographs of the dead , the government saysA Dutch expert helping to identify victims from last year’s MH17 airliner crash in Ukraine has been fired after showing photographs of the dead at a public lecture, the government said Thursday.“The collaboration with...
Pentagon dismisses Moscow claim of U.S. troops in Ukraine combat zone
MOSCOW/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Russian Defense Ministry said on Thursday that U.S. troops were training Ukrainian forces in the conflict zone in eastern Ukraine, but the Pentagon flatly denied it, accusing Moscow of a “ridiculous attempt” to obscure its own activity in the region. …read more Source:...
Ed Miliband: small-minded isolationism has damaged British influence
In a foreign policy speech, Labour leader will attack David Cameron for ‘stepping away from the world’ and outline his conditions for interventions abroadEd Miliband will today say that the small-minded isolationism of David Cameron has led to the most substantial loss of British influence abroad in a generation.In a foreign policy speech,...



